improperly installed circuit

This photo was taken inside a main electric panel. A week prior to this photo being taken, the homeowner improperly ran an electrical circuit from the garbage disposer (food waste grinder) to the main 100 amp breaker. Not only is this a multiple tapping problem (that’s why the insulation is melting) and an over fused (overcurrent device too large) condition, but the 120 volt garbage disposer is connected across 240 volts. When it is turned on, the disposal is drawing twice the current intended and the garbage disposer motor is burning up. Probably the only reason the garbage disposer has not yet burned up is that a disposer is usually run for very short periods of time. This hazardous defect was reported to the home buying client and an electrician was called in to properly wire the disposal to the electrical panel.